October 03, 2004

A Treatise on Words (not really)

Ever taught your boss a new phrase or word? It seems like I'm always doing this, using language people just haven't heard of before. I know that West Virginia (where I'm from) is often considered the boonies, but it's not like I'm making stuff up here. Here's an example of something I've said lately; try to figure out the terminology in question.

"Well, Charlie said today, October first, was the day we usually get bonuses, and he's worked here a billion years. But we're not getting any bonuses this year 'cause IS screwed the pooch with the nine-and-a-half million dollar overrun."

If you said "we're not getting any bonuses," you are wrong, sorry. I think pretty much every working (and non-working) American knows what that means.

If you said "screwed the pooch," ding-ding-ding, you're the lucky prizewinner. Read an interesting entry about this phrase's origin.

And while you're at it, read my entry about online dating, it's so much better than this, but my bro. keeps bugging me to post so like, I gotta please him, right? (Sorry, Rick Nelson.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urbandictionary.com also has a nice explanation of "screw the pooch" and other slang. I had the link on my webpage when I mentioned in relation to Dan Rather, but my software screwed the pooch and the link was gone when I uploaded it last time.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home