July 17, 2008

To Tell The Truth...

So, I guess I'm one of these people who tells the truth when exchanging pleasantries. I mean, if someone at work greets me and asks how I am, I'm going to say any of the following, whichever is applicable at the moment:

1. Pretty good, thanks! And you? (This option rarely used.)
2. I'm hungry.
3. I've got a headache.
4. I'm tired.

Etc.

Sometimes I expound on it, too, if there's been a follow-up question. Believe it or not, sometimes there is.

Anyhoo, today I ran into a lady in el bano, and she asked how I was. We chat once in a while since we work on the same floor, and I like her. Anyhoo...I'm still not sure whether I should appreciate the candidness of this convo or marvel at the lack of decorum. (I think I'm going with appreciate, but you be the judge.)

"Hey, Flapjam, how're you?"

"I've got a headache."

Both enter stalls.

"Oh no! Is it another sinus thing?"

"I don't know, I don't think so... You know, I always tell the truth when people ask me these questions. I should really just say I'm fine, you know? Anyway, how're you?"

"You want the truth, I'm bleeding like a pig!"

"Well, you know, I appreciate the truth...."

I don't remember what was said after that, my mind was still in a whirl, but I think I said something about how at least the weekend was coming up. I sort of wanted to laugh--because, you know, other folks had entered the bathroom and I'm sure it sounded like a weird thing to be listening to--but I didn't. I wasn't exactly shocked, but I guess I was a little surprised.

It was kind of refreshing to hear it laid out like that, but then again, workplace, but then again, bathroom, so, who knows.

Anyhoo...how're you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Chinchilla said...

Awful. My hemorrhoids hurt.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Hannah L said...

Don't you think she meant to say "bleeding like a stuck pig"? Why is a pig necessarily bleeding a lot unless headed to be bacon? Just sayin.

11:03 AM  
Blogger H. said...

Hannah L: Y'know, that actually occurred to me just last night. I dunno. Maybe it's like saying you gotta pee like a racehorse??

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home