August 22, 2008

Flapjam on the Case!

So I just got a call at work from my Building Manager Lady. I was a little frightened when I saw it pop up on the caller I.D. My first thoughts were:

Oh crap, did I leave something on, like the water? Is something happening to my apartment?

Hm..I hope maintenance doesn't have to come in, because the apt. could be more tidy.

Trepidation and panic rising within me, I answered the phone. Here's the convo that transpired:

"(Standard phone greeting), this is Flapjam."

"Hello, Flapjam, this is Building Manager Lady at Building You Live In. How are you?"

"I'm okay, is everything alright?? What's going on??"

"Everything is fine..."

Audible sigh of relief

"but I had a question for you."

"Oh. Okay. What is it?" Is someone going to complain about me?? Was my tv too loud last night?

"Well, we have a new tenant up on the fifth floor, and he heard a horrible noise last night that scared him, so I know since you're sensitive about these things-"

Hey, I've got a rep in the building for being sensitive to noise! Awesome! I feel kind of proud. Sort of.

"--I thought I would check with you to see if you heard it too."

"Okay..when was it?"

"It was around 2:20 a.m. last night, and it was a loud noise."

"Hm. Well, I actually couldn't sleep last night, so I was up until about 2:00, then I took Nyquil"--Why did I just tell her that??--"but I don't recall hearing anything. Does he live near me, where is his apartment?"

"He is straight down the hall."

"Towards the fire door?"

"Yes."

"Well, you know, the past few nights when I've gotten home from work, I've noticed that door's been open..."--Way to work that fact in, maybe she'll circulate a note about keeping it shut--"and I've gone and closed it because it makes the hallway hot and I know it's supposed to be closed at all times, so the only thing I can think of is either someone had the door open and then they slammed it shut, or maybe it was noise from the back alley. But I really don't recall hearing anything, I'm sorry. I know I usually would."

"Yes, that's why I figured you'd be a good person to call. Well, thank you."

"Sorry I couldn't help..."

"Thank you, bye-bye."

"Bye."

Well. Isn't that interesting? I can totally be thought of as a witness in the building, or a helpful private eye (or ear). Except for this time.

Oh and I totally need to update you on the appliance saga...I just haven't had time to do it yet. But stay tuned.

Until then, keep your eyes open, your nose clean, and your hands to yourself.

(Sorry...been watching too much film noir!) :D

3 Comments:

Blogger Hannah L said...

Ah Flapjam, don't ever change.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Amen. I wish I could write this well.

1:10 AM  
Blogger H. said...

Heh. No worries on changing, hannah. I fear I will be like this for quite some time.

And thanks again for the props, who. You never fail to prop me, and I thank ye kindly!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home