March 19, 2009

Be still my heart

Just a quick post to express my dismay, annoyance, and sadness at hearing that The Greenbrier is filing for bankruptcy.

It has long been my dream to go to the Greenbrier. Not only because it's in West Virginia and looks very pretty surrounded by rolling green hills, but also because it's darned fancy, has an interesting history, and used to be the hidey place of important government folks. When I think of the Greenbrier, I think of pleasant summer afternoons, cool breezes, lemonade, and cool marbled hallways. I think of ladies in hats holding parasols and gentlemen checking their pocketwatches. I think of times gone by and croquet and badminton. And sometimes I even think of what it might be like to get married there.

If the Greenbrier is sold to the Marriott Corporation, who's to say what will change, if anything. Maybe nothing will. But it won't seem independent, and it may be a while before I can let my pipedream go.

The Greenbrier: Defining Luxury Since 1778.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And, of course, Chef Boyardee once cooked there.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

I remembered once reading something about a “Greenbrier Ghost” & thought maybe this cool old hotel had something to do with her, but apparently not. But is Sam Black Church near Sulphur Springs?

12:44 AM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Update: The Greenbrier Ghost is a mere 19 miles from the hotel. OK, carry on.

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home