September 06, 2005

Ahoy, Matey...

We interrupt today's work schedule for the return of the DeathBlog. We hereby notify you of the death of Bob Denver, aka Maynard G. Krebs of TV's Dobie Gillis fame. Denver was also affectionately known as Gilligan, first mate of the S. S. Minnow and denizen of an uncharted desert Island.

Man, I can't believe yet another iconic figure, one who provided me with afternoons of hilarity, has died. Sure, the show seems annoying to me now. And I can't believe they've gone so far as to do a reality show based on it (I'm not naming it or linking to it, trust me, you're better off). But what childhood would have been complete without coming home from school, flipping on TBS, and watching The Flintstones and Gilligan's Island? I'm sure I'm a better person for it, I can tell you that much.

In later years, long after the demise of his shows, Denver became a resident of my home state, West Virginia, where he enjoyed many a day smoking pot. I'm sure it was for medicinal purposes. But even if it wasn't, so what? The guy had been stuck on an island for years, and the only company he had (besides his fellow castaways) were random weirdos who always managed to escape said island, or The Globetrotters. (Though that may have been in the cartoon version, I don't recall.)

Anyhoo...thanks for the mirth, Mr. Denver, and be sure to say hey to Scotty for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home