August 04, 2010

I'd write a suicide note, but

apparently they've stopped manufacturing my favorite pen!!!!!


FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!


If you're interested, my favorite pen is the Focus LX (gel, black, .7mm). It was originally manufactured under the brand of "Flying Colors" (owned by JakksPacific), then they began using the "Pentech" brand.

Apparently, Jakks bought Pentech some years ago, and I've just learned from the JP folks that they are moving away from their stationary (sic) line. Ok, I know they make toys and stuff, but people, if you're going to fucking PURCHASE a company that MANUFACTURES pens, goddammit, just stay the course. (I think they bought Pentech 10 years ago, but still.)

The customer service rep told me via email that limited quantities may still be available at the following places, but that they would indeed be hard to find. Oh hell, why don't you just read the sad sorry exchange for yourself:

--
To: Jakks Pacific Consumer Relations
Re: Focus LX pens still on the market?

Hi,

I've been having trouble locating my favorite pen, the Flying Colors Focus LX (.7mm retractable gel pen (with cushioning)).

The last time I bought it, the name on the clip switched from "Flying Colors" to "Pentech" but it is still the Focus LX gel pen. (Not the stick pen.)

Can you please tell me if it is still being produced, and if so, at what stores I might find it?

I didn't see this information on your website, and my attempts to find it on Google and Yahoo! have not yielded any results.

Thanks very much; I really hope you still manufacture this pen.

Flapjam




I received the following within an hour of my inquiry. Gotta give the devil his due--at least they have good customer service, despite the fact that their R&D or decisionmakers are morons.




From: Jakks People
To: Flapjam
Subject: RE: Focus LX pens still on the market?

Thank you for contacting Consumer Relations,

We actually are moving away from our stationary line so, it will be more difficult to find. Your best bet to finding the pen would be at a discount type store such as K-Mart, Big Lots, Rite Aid, and CVS. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Customer Service Person




Well, she invited it, right? I DID have further questions. So I felt free and contacted her. This is what I wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I'm very upset to hear this news since the Focus LX pen is great for someone who has carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. Do you know when the last shipment to stores went out?

And I don't suppose you have any for sale directly?

Lastly, I'm not sure what influenced the decision, but please tell your marketing or R&D folks that even in the computer age, people still want to use pens...maybe they can consider bringing it back.

Thanks again for the prompt reply,

Flapjam :(



Godfuckingdammit. I mean, really? REALLY??? On the heels of the Baskin Robbins French Vanilla retirement, this happens?

WTF.

Now I have to find a good replacement. It won't be easy. Of that I am sure.

scribbledy fuckity doo.

:(

PS: If any of my friends happens to be reading this - can you please check your local stores above and buy me these pens en masse? I will reimburse you! (Unless you want to call it a belated birthday present.) :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous dawn(ie) said...

dear flapjam,

i recently discovered your blog and must say it has given me numerous "laffs". you have such a gift for writing! of course, my productivity at work has suffered for it, but oh well. :) please write more! i'm pretty bummed out that after stalking the archives for days, i have come to the end. wah wah wah.

11:40 AM  
Blogger H. said...

Hi dawn(ie), (hehe),

Aw. I'm glad I could provide you with a way to not do some work. In fact, keeping up the blog sometimes helped me in that regard, too. ;)

There's been plenty to yap about but stupid FB and Plants v. Zombies have been sucking my time of late. But you know, I'm a giver, if nothing else. So I will try to post something soon. I hope it will be something you enjoy reading...and thank you for the nice props! It totally made my day! :)

Flapjam

12:03 PM  
Anonymous sonybella said...

Hiya!
Found your blog whilst looking for a refill for my Pentech Focus LX. FYI I found a comparable refill!!! :)

Tūl brand retractable gel in refill medium black, SKU 21881108

They work like a charm.

Cheers, ~S.
sonybella@yahoo.com

11:41 PM  
Blogger H. said...

Hi sonybrlla,

Thanks so much for your comment and intel about getting replacement refills! Very timely, too, since I've just about depleted my supply!

Happy writing,
Flapjan

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just ran out of my last case of these exact pens and was looking for more online. I couldn't find them anywhere and in my search stumbled upon this blog entry. Did you ever find a good replacement? I swear to you this is a legitimate question and I hope you have a suitable answer for me! I have two left and I need more!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just ran out of my last case of these exact pens and was looking for more online. I couldn't find them anywhere and in my search stumbled upon this blog entry. Did you ever find a good replacement? I swear to you this is a legitimate question and I hope you have a suitable answer for me! I have two left and I need more!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home