September 04, 2012

OMFG A NEW FLAPJAM RANT

So, I'm moving. Yay. Everybody rejoice. Only I'm staying in the same building, so don't rejoice too much.

I moved into Chez Flapjam in the fall of 1999.

It is now 2012.

That's what I call staying power, people.

Anyhoo. A lot is involved in a move.

There is packing.

There is dusting.

There is trying to fool yourself into thinking you'll be able to wear those old clothes again one day. But sometimes even a fool knows when to say when. (I've already collected two bags of donations for the Salvation Army, and I'm sure there are a few more coming.)

And of course, there is the changing of address for magazines and utilities. I did the magazines first because let's face it, they're more important. Also, they don't give you a lot of guff when you call.

Let me tell you something. I'm old school. I'm so old school I still have a landline, even though I really only use it for the DSL Internet connection and maybe some local calls.

My local phone provider is none other than AT&T. I can't think of another dirty word that starts with T so I'm just going to forego the whole "or as I like to call them, A-holes, Twats, and Twits." Oh wait, that worked. Okay then.

First I went to the AT&T website. I thought it would be pretty simple to change my service online.

Guess what?

It wasn't.

I can't remember everything that happened because, well, let's just say I've forgotten my reason for living over the past hour, but basically in order for me to do my thang online, I'd first need to create an account. No problem.

Except...they want to send you a confirmation code that you can use to log in to the account.

No problem.

Except...since you want to access your home landline, they want to send the code to your home landline.

No problem.

Except...I'm at work.

And I don't have voicemail.

Instead, being old school, I have a dilapidated, tapeless answering machine. And sure, I could call it and try to remember my passcode and then fast-forward through the 16 or so messages on there to try to get the code, but..

FUCK THAT!

It is 2012, and I want my damned confirmation code e-mailed to me, okay?

Grr.

Annoyed, I decided to go even more old school and call the Customer Service line. Surely they could help me with my simple request.

But since I'm posting on here, you probably surmised that that is not the case.

Anyhoo.

I called AT&T and listened to the a-hole automaton try to get info from me. Well, I don't like automatons and I don't like having to say things out loud at my desk. I do that all the time anyway but it's different when you're just saying stupid phrases in a monotone like, "Yes," "moving service," and the like. So I pushed zero and the automaton said something like, "It sounds like you want to speak to an agent. Is that correct?"

I thought about whispering, "YES, YOU ASSHOLE!!" but I didn't. Instead I just gritted my teeth and said, "Yes."

After I heard some musical interludes and a message saying that they were experiencing a heavy volume of calls, my wait time could be ten minutes, a man with some kind of accent picked up. I don't know what kind of accent. There was a ton of background noise (that I almost commented on, but didn't) and the guy struck me as maybe being from Senegal. Or some island in the Pacific. Eh.

It took forever for him to take the information I was giving him. I said I was moving, everything was going to be the same, I'd just have a new apartment number. 702 for those of you who know me in real life and want to send housewarming gifts. :D

He kept putting me on hold.

I kept answering work e-mails. Because I ain't no loafer.

He kept coming back and blah blah blah.

I told him my move date was September 15. For those of you who don't already know, that is a Saturday this year. And remember, I'm just moving into a different apartment in the same building. There is no need for a technician to come out. They just need to do a little flippy switcheroo. Or whatever.

But to make a long story short (because I need to visit the baño, I mean I was on hold for almost an hour, people), apparently AT&T doesn't do the flipping of switches on weekends.

The guy talked to his manager to see if he could do a manual override, but no dice.

I knew it wasn't Guy's fault. But I told Guy I wanted to speak to a manager so I could lodge a comment (that's right, I didn't say complaint). Because it is ridiculous that it took so long, that they can't do what I want, and when I mentioned the word "move" at the beginning, they should have said, "Hey just fyi, lady, we can't accommodate weekend dates." Like, just fucking tell me up front so I don't have to go through all the bullshit, k?

So, they are turning off my service on the 14th, and I'll get it back on the 17th.

In the meantime, I won't have Internet access via my computer. So there's that.

Also, I asked if they would prorate the dates I will be without service. I mean, right? I don't care if it's twelve cents, I'm not effing paying them for this crap.

WTF. It is 2012. WHY CAN'T THEY PROGRAM THEIR DAMNED COMPUTERS TO TURN MY PHONE OFF ON THE 14TH AND ON ON THE 15TH?

I looked at my electric company's website and fear the same thing will happen there, too. The weekend dates are blocked out. WTF. Are we living in the dark ages? (No pun intended.) Am I supposed to be in a place of worship all weekend? I dunno.

And, if that weren't enough, I'm still miffed about the attitude I got from pizza girl when I called for delivery last night. Maybe I'll bitch about that later. Right now, I gotta see a man about a horse. Or whatever ladies say when they go to water flowers.

In the meantime, I will seriously consider ditching my landline. :\

2 Comments:

Anonymous Flapjam said...

I never did get to lodge my comment either. He said his manager was in a meeting. Grrrr!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Arthur Plotnik said...

Hey---Good luck in the new place. And if it makes you feel any better, AT&T makes me weep once a month when I try to figure out their bill.

As ever,

Art Plotnik

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home