August 02, 2013

Why Did They Kick the Bucket??

Oh good christ. It looks like yet another delicious food product from my childhood (and let's face it, my adulthood) has met its untimely demise.

The victim?

KFC's Little Bucket Parfaits.

What? You've never had a little bucket parfait? The shame. The sorrow. The sadness of missing out.

The bucket parfait was your basic three-tiered dessert. Some pie crusty crumbs on the bottom, then some pudding, then some whipped topping, with maybe a few sprinkles on it. That's if you got the chocolate one. They also had a strawberry one which contained some semblance of fruit, but that wasn't the one I liked.

Today when I went to the local KFC to pick up some tasty chicken lunch, I looked in the fridge and saw only cole slaw (not a great dessert option) and some stupid boxed pie slices (Oreo and Reese's). WTF. Because I had no better options, and because I wanted to prove to myself that yes, Oreo pie *is* as gross as I always think it is (apologies to my nephew, who really digs it), I took a slice.

I asked the cashier lady if they had any bucket parfaits, and she said no. Now, I had glanced at the menu board, and saw the word Parfait, but there was a block of the sign missing. Actually, maybe it said Dessert. I think it was parfait. But it's always a bad sign (surprisingly, no pun intended) when there is no price listed for the menu item you want.

I came back to the office to eat the tasty chicken lunch. I skillfully avoided the homeless man on the bridge who is friend to all things pigeon. I mean he's a nice guy, but come on, who wants to be near those flying rats?

When it came time to eat dessert, I did so with a heavy heart. (And probably some clogged arteries.) The Oreo pie was not very tasty. It just isn't a good dessert. For those who do enjoy it, I still bet you wouldn't call it the end-all, be-all of desserts. Because it just isn't.

Can I just say that KFC's website has the WORST customer comment form? And believe you me, I've been on many a website and filled out many a form.

On KFC's, they're only looking for comments from customers who REALLY want to speak their minds. Otherwise, they would just have a blank form ready and waiting for you. But no. First you have to fill in why you want to contact them. Then you have to do some drop-downs with more specific information. Then you have to do your name, email, blah blah, city/state, you also have to put the date and time of your visit, which KFC you visited, what color underwear you have on, and so on. By the time I got to the actual blank part, I was hopping annoyed.

But instead of ranting a lot, I only wrote the following:

---------------
What has happened to the Bucket Parfaits? I haven't seen them for a while, there are now only pie slices for dessert. I LOVED THE BUCKET PARFAITS and have enjoyed them for over 30 years. Why were they discontinued??? Can you please bring them back on the menu? Are they discontinued everywhere? I saw no mention of them on your website.

Please tell me if they can be put back on the menu, and why they were removed. Thank you. The parfait was always the most enjoyable dessert. Little pie slices that are too sweet aren't a great finish to a good chicken meal.
----------------

The future of the 'fait looks pretty grim. So this is me saying good-bye and farewell to my beloved Little Bucket Parfaits. Also, fuck you to the idiots in charge at KFC.

Love,

Flapjam

37 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the parfaits too. They must have discontinued everywhere, I am in the Houston, Tx area and cannot find any.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Funkopedia said...

Oh man, they used to have Lemon one and a different Chocolate one (chocolate creme, I believe) but discontinued those a few years ago. Today I went in and the kid at the counter had never even heard of them. SAD

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably Corporate greed. They found the new deserts make there yacht payment easier to keep up with.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They started serving them frozen so they tasted like crap. When they tasted like crap people stop buying.by the time they thawed out there were a warm gooey mess.
that's what you get with a corporation that doesn't care about their product like Pepsi

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago, they used to have a lot of different flavors. Then it was down to the last two or three you just mentioned. Now I see or hear nothing about them. And those things were really good, too!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the little bucket deserts were Lemon creme, chocolate creme, strawberry shortcake and a chocolate brownie type parfait. My favorite was the chocolate creme with sometimes the strawberry shortcake or lemon creme. I never really cared for the brownie one. However one of the problems with the parfaits(From a kfc store point of view) is sometimes the parfaits could get damaged if the box is not opened carefully(or sometimes an employee would purposely damage the parfait to try for try to get a free desert-I used to work at a kfc and once noticed way too many damaged deserts).

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evidently, KFC wasn't selling enough of the "LBP's" system-wide to justify their continuation (my guess). I worked for KFC Corp. during the 1980's, and the Lemon LBP was always my favorite...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I say we all protest for our parfaits to come back!! Sure miss them myself.Such a special treat when I was younger and as I got older.Was just having a conversation with a friend about the parfaits and I told him I was going to google them and see what's up.LOL.................and here I am feeling the same as you all up in here!! Fuck you KFC for discontinuing our parfaits!! LOL

8:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the lemon little bucket parfaits! I've looked at different locations for years! This is sad, sad news.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Simplyestella said...

Yup, I fully agree. I would just go to KFC many times and purchase six parfaits, 3 strawberry and 3 chocolate....but if they happen to have the lemon, which was not carried at all the KFC's, I would get 2 each. Those little parfaits were so yummy to my tummy and I was so upset when they just up and discontinued them, with no warning. Tell us how you really feel about your customers �� It would be nice if KFC brought the little parfaits back, but I highly doubt they will, smdh ��

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Simplyestella said...

Yup, I fully agree. I would just go to KFC many times and purchase six parfaits, 3 strawberry and 3 chocolate....but if they happen to have the lemon, which was not carried at all the KFC's, I would get 2 each. Those little parfaits were so yummy to my tummy and I was so upset when they just up and discontinued them, with no warning. Tell us how you really feel about your customers �� It would be nice if KFC brought the little parfaits back, but I highly doubt they will, smdh ��

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry all, but KFC discontinued them because the company that made them went out of business. :-(

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved little buckets soooo much ! Chocolate was my favorite ! Also ... They had chicken littles sandwiches ... Ummmm! Oh.. The good ole' days when food tasted so good because they used the ingredients that made them good ! Now .. Everyone is so health conscious.. All the taste is bland !

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with everyone else! Bring them back ASAP. I've been looking for them for quite some time. I've heard they still serve them in Mississippi. Who can we convince to bring them back?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with everyone else! Bring them back ASAP. I've been looking for them for quite some time. I've heard they still serve them in Mississippi. Who can we convince to bring them back?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just talking with my wife about this issue. I agree they were the best,even frozen. Let's get them back by starting petition to bring little bucket parfait back. You would be surprised how many people will follow....!!!!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just talking with my wife about this issue. I agree they were the best,even frozen. Let's get them back by starting petition to bring little bucket parfait back. You would be surprised how many people will follow....!!!!

10:52 PM  
Blogger EDD said...

The never could keep any in Waco, TX because the employees would eat them all up or take them home. Management knew this was going on and would say that they all went bad and had to be discarded.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Peteamann O'Boy Crawford said...

LEMON, LEMON, LEMON, LEMON, LEMON PLEASE, was all I'd purchase when going to KFC. I needed none of their salty chicken, nor the large drink to wash it down. Maybe their fake potatoes & gravy. But here we had the KFC/TACO BELL COMBO near my location. So taco's it was with little buckets for dessert 🍮 \\e. Happily Ever After.. Oh' Little Bucket, you'll be missed, and you are missed to this day.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been missing lemon parfaits too!!!! :(
Please KFC, bring them back! You might just get more business too.����������

5:08 PM  
Blogger True Southern Gent1967 said...

I've already been doing it! I've not been to a KFC in 3 years. Church's or Popeyes now.
I have a friend whose in the baking, dessert biz. He's going to be bringing them back!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I went into a KFC here in Vegas... the little girl looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about LBP's... They brought back Hostess products, arguably not the same, why not this...

2:13 PM  
Blogger R875 said...

I do so very much miss the Chocolate Brownie variety LBP. I remember them containing a custard center with fudge glaze on top that sank into the Chocolate cake layer and created a chocolate gooey deliciousness. I heard they took them away because they were filled with unhealthy ingredients (really?!) but this can't be the case, this is KFC after all.

6:38 PM  
Blogger R875 said...

I do so very much miss the Chocolate Brownie variety LBP. I remember them containing a custard center with fudge glaze on top that sank into the Chocolate cake layer and created a chocolate gooey deliciousness. I heard they took them away because they were filled with unhealthy ingredients (really?!) but this can't be the case, this is KFC after all.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Calikocat said...

What was the name of the company

10:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I heard the company who made them shut down. Kfc doesn't make them

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There were a few others. I was a store manager for KFC in the late 90s. When I was there we could order/ carry Vanilla Creme, Chocolate Creme, Strawberry Shortcake, Lemon Creme, Fudge Brownie and Cherry Cheesecake LBPs. We called the Lemon and Cheesecake ones "chemical cups" because of their funky, artificial tastes. My personal favorites were always the Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Creme LBP.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Great post!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Last time seeing those was 1998.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

was the only reason i went to kfc lile wtf.. bring back theLEMON BUCKETS you mcassholes'...

10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

KFC should bring them back

6:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The lemon was the best. I would go 2 both kfc locations in my small town and buy all the lemon ones. Would do anything 2 bring them bacK. FUCK U KFC

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definitely follow

7:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer L said...

I need a lemon parfait soooooo bad. I wish I at bnb least knew somewhere where I could like order a case of those exact ones 😭😭😭

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would go to KFC just to get the buckets sometimes.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite was the chocolate fudge parfait! In Alaska we never had a lemon one.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lemon parfaits were my favorite and the strawberry was next, never had thee other flavors.My son who is 39 asked me did I remember buying them. I didn’t think he even remembered them, but no one forgets a good thing.They were the best desserts ever!YUMMO

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home