November 05, 2013

The Ice-ing on the Cake?

So I just broke one of the ice trays at work. This is somewhat interesting when you consider the fact that just this morning, a co-worker told me about the genesis of all 9 ice trays. I guess it all started when the original ice trays went missing. (Fact: They were later found in the pantry's closet just a few steps away from their rightful place.)

But before they were found, someone apparently took it upon herself—because let's face it, I highly doubt one of the males around here did it—bought a whole bunch of new ice trays. So yay.

I only use the ice trays when I'm too lazy to go down to the 17th floor or the basement to use the fun ice machines, and admittedly, I hate using the ice trays because the cubes are too darned hard to extract. (Case in point: I just broke an ice tray. Fortunately, no one was around to witness it. Unlike the mishap on Friday, when my tiny bucket of Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli with Meatballs met its untimely demise in the microwave. There were two witnesses then, followed by a third. Not only did I lose my second lunch of the day, but I had to clean up the mess. On the upside, I was informed that someone had just cleaned the microwave tray, so at least I only had my own gook to contend with.)

Let me amend that. The Boyardee was not my second lunch, it was actually my third attempt to eat lunch on Friday.

I normally eat lunch around noon, noon-fifteen, maybe 12:30 if I'm meeting someone outside the building. But for reasons I'm not disclosing, lunch didn't happen til around 1:30 on Friday.

I didn't bring lunch, and on Fridays there is a "pop-up" restaurant in our lobby. It varies each week, but what doesn't vary is the fact that a bunch of eaters go downstairs and snarf ALL the [limited] food options so that folks who wander down, say, at 12:00 p.m., are often out of luck.

I didn't remember about the pop-up until 1:30. So I raced down to the lobby (as much as you can race when the elevator thwarts you by stopping on every other floor) and saw that the tables were barren. No more ravioli. No more pasta. Only flatbread chicken or turkey sandwiches, and plenty of portionettes full of red pepper or parmesan cheese. (Sadly, I have been informed that one should not make a meal out of parmesan cheese.) At least the lady behind the table seemed sympathetic and apologized as if it were her fault that they didn't have anything good left to eat.

Dismayed, I stepped over to the little bakery/sandwich counter that's also in the lobby. I was heartened to see that one of the soup choices was Chicken Noodle. I thought that was only a Monday soup (usually Fridays are bad for soup), and I like Chicken Noodle, so I was all, "yay!" But then I was told by the lady behind the counter that they were sold out of it, and that they had chili instead. Their chili is too hot for me, so that wasn't an option.

Disgruntled, I came back upstairs to check out my "Extreme Emergency" food stash. The "Extreme Emergency" stash consists of food I really don't want to eat, but somehow must have purchased at the grocery store at some point. There are soups in there I don't even want to try and have no idea why I bought them in the first place. In any case, The Chef was among the goods, so I popped him into the microwave and well, you know the rest.

If you're wondering what I ended up eating on Friday, it was a 2-piece dark KFC box of chicken, with some mashed potatoes and gravy, and a Dr. Pepper that had a citrus flavor profile to it. (Ugh.) There was also a biscuit.

Today, I am going to eat something that would normally go into the EE stash, it's a Velveeta cheesy skillet single, and I guess we'll see what happens with the microwave. I kind of don't want to go into the kitchen given today's earlier event, but what are you gonna do.

Btw, instead of tossing the trays, I refilled them both and stuck them back into the freezer. That may have been a mistake, seeing as how one of them has kind of a sharp edge sticking up. Oh well. Guess I'll be going downstairs for ice now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lechuza Planters said...

hi this is nice to read....good post thank you for posting this

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home