March 02, 2008

Sunday in the Apartment with Flapjam

I was going to type a whole bunch of stuff but my upstairs or next-door neighbor (?) is pissing me off with his f*cking hammering so there you go.

:(

Still, I guess it's better than the dreaded alarm clock.

:)

I hear my across-the-hall neighbor doing some vacuuming. Obviously, she does not own a pair of chenille-fringed slippers that you can use to dust your floors. So what if they make your feet look like they're wearing paramecia? They're totally awesome. Mine are lime green and I got them at Bed, Bath & Beyond recently. The bottoms are detachable so you can pop 'em in the washer, too. I should probably be embarrassed about how much fun I have wearing these things.

But I'm not.

Today I have done jackshit. I woke up late, watched a bunch of Tru Calling episodes on DVD, thought about doing my laundry, didn't do my laundry, thought about what to eat for dinner, and here we are. It was 55 degrees here today, but I didn't venture outside. I should probably be embarrassed about that.

I am, a little.

Daylight Saving(s?) Time is soon going to be upon us. I fricking hate DST. For one thing, it's an anagram of STD. For another thing, I hate losing an hour. Sure, sure, there is more daylight for kiddies to go home from school, and for farmers to work, and for people to commute, and blah blah blah, but I just can't stand it.

I couldn't even tell you why. Part of it is probably because of how it affects my nightly tv viewing. It's just not good watching primetime tv when it looks like it's still light outside and there are more people outside drinking and being noisy. (Damn lousy drunkards!) Also, it probably reminds me of gentler times (like when I was 5) that are gone gone gone. Let's face it, the '70s were awesome. But I'm too creaky now to play hopscotch and there isn't anyplace good to play it where I live anyway, and I don't have a blender to make milkshakes or anything, and I lost my train of thought again but I think the point is I prefer Standard Time.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm fine with that.

But I'm curious...DST or Standard -- which do you prefer? (We can still be friends, don't worry.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love Tru Calling! I hate noisy apartment neighbors!

Well, I'm kind of divided on the DST. I hate the one in the fall, despite the fact that we gain an hour. It messes up my kids' schedules so bad! And then it gets cold.

But in the Spring, despite the fact that we lose an hour, it's nice because it stays light so much longer, and the weather starts getting warmer. But the time shift really messes with my kids, so it's a toss-up.

7:39 AM  
Blogger H. said...

Tru Calling was great! I admit I didn't watch it when it aired, but I love it on dvd. It sucks that they canceled it when it was getting super interesting.

I don't mind having it cold and dark in the fall, I guess it reminds me of Halloween. I also don't mind having later summer hours. You know what, a toss-up sounds good to me. :D

12:03 PM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

I'm not crazy about DST on account of, I'm a night owl anyway & this just makes it worse. Hey you know housing prices are at a 20-year-low or something like that ...

12:38 PM  
Blogger H. said...

I know you want to sell me a bridge, too, don't you, Who? Well, I'm not buying. (Yet.)

Maybe the reason I dislike DST is because I have night owl tendencies myself. Hm.

I think we should start a movement to at least make it start later in April, like it used to. Sigh.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

That reminds me of one my very favorite Will Rogers quotes:

"They may call me a hick, but I'd a lot rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it."

11:33 PM  
Blogger Hannah L said...

Pro DST. I can ride my bike home from work!!!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home