December 17, 2007

Deathblog: Holiday Edition

Before we raise an imaginary glass of a non-flammable liquid with our inaudible rendition of Auld Lang Syne, let's toast the latest to make Flapjam do a Return of the Deathblog.

Today we have one entry: Dan Fogelberg. I never owned any of his records but always enjoyed listening to "Leader of the Band." It was wistful, sure, which is probably what made it so good. To me, it kind of fits in with Harry Chapin stuff and Harry Nilsson and probably another Harry or two I don't even know.

I last heard this song when it was used in an episode of "Everwood" - the now-defunct show I liked so much.

Fogelberg was only 56.

:(

Looks like I've found my next download for the ol' iPod.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled seasonal cheery stuff. (Translation: hit a link, cos you won't find it here.) ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jelly-Filled said...

When I was younger, I was very much a Dan Fogelberg fan. This news is very sad.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Who Am Us Anyway? said...

And although Harry C. (also dead) and Harry N. (also dead) were all notable, for me Harry Nilsson is tops of the pops because he was the only guy who ever appeared in any of my dreams.

True story, in a dream I was in a bar with a bunch of old, old, drinking friends & in walks Harry Nilsson, and he's just one of the guys. And amongst other things he explains how disappointed he was that no one really ever understood his song "Joy." And in a flash -- in the dream -- I understood for the first time that the line "Joy to the world was a beautiful girl but to me Joy meant only sorrow" contained not one but two puns.

Too bad my dreams never bring me more helpful insights than that, but I guess I should take whatever I can get.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home